Brakes Midget 1500

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net, spridgets@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Brakes Midget 1500
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D Arnold)
Date: Fri, 27 Nov 1998 06:10:05 -0600
Awhile back, I posted a question to ye olde list as to what might be
causing the chattering sound when the brakes were applied.  I finally got
a chance to work on Miss Molly yesterday, and quickly discovered the
cause of the problem:  The circlip holding the wheel cylinder to the
backing plate had come loose and was allowing the shoe assembly to pop
forward.

Scored up the drum a bit on that side and destroyed the trailing shoe.
The other side was loose as well, and it popped the lower spring out.
Replaced the clips on both sides, turned the drum just enough to clean it
up (kinda neat having access to a brake lathe on a holiday), and tossed
on a new set of shoes (lifetime Raybestos = $15).  Bingo -- Instant brake
pedal!

Just as well, as I need to use Molly for a day or two while I put the LBC
support vehicle back on the road.  Waltzin' Matilda ('78 Chevy Half-ton)
has chewed up all three universal joints, the carrier bearing, and I
strongly suspect that the gearbox synchros went south for the winter.
Rebuilt the driveshaft yesterday, and will be replacing the gearbox this
weekend; fortunately, I have a good used tranny already.

Tomorrow, I hope to bring Maggie (74.5 RB MGB) home and begin work on
her.  After several straight weeks of intense office work, I can use some
time off....

Hoping everyone had a fat and happy Thanksgiving, I remain

Rich Arnold
Council Bluffs, Iowa

'74.5 RB MGB "Maggie"
'78 Chevy Half-Ton "Waltzin' Matilda"