Re: Carbs, Fires and Head Gaskets - long!

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Carbs, Fires and Head Gaskets - long!
From: "William M. Gilroy" <wmgilroy@lucent.com>
Date: Sat, 28 Nov 1998 09:23:14 -0500
Neil Cotty wrote:

> Well so here I am driving out to Lakemba to exchange my intake manifold
> for an early one from Bill (to get rid of the air pump connections etc
> that I no longer need) and all of a sudden there's smoke pouring out
> from under the dash! I was in my A. I quickly pulled off the road and
> shut down the engine, but the smoke was still pouring out - I checked
> under the bonnet and no problems,  got under the dash to find a brown
> wire from the water temp guage had come off and attached itself to the
> choke cable which was now glowing white hot!!! I quickly ripped it off
> before it could cause any other problems. Got back under way and made it
> to Bill's sans Temp guage...

Reminds me of an old 67 Dodge I used to own.  Many years ago a mate (since
I am replying to the bottom half of the world :-))  were coming home from a
bar after it closed.  As I was heading down the highway at about 50 MPH the
car filled with smoke.  I stand on the brakes, start to slow down, and then
I see flames (well at least an orange glow) coming from under the passenger
side of the dash board. At the point I am going about 20 MPH and my friend
decides flames near his crotch is not a good thing and out he jumps.
Anyway
the flames are getting bigger, so I try to put the car into park, but I
only
make to reverse.  I jump out and my car continues down the road glowing
orange
doors open smoke coming out and the reverse bands making some terrible
noises
like a load BRRR, BRRR.  As we sit up in the road the car jumps a curb and
comes to rest against a telephone pole.  Then the orange glow subsides and
the smoke clears.  We walk over to the car and look inside.  Up underneath
the passenger side of of the dash the wiring harness had a complete melt
down, along with part of the dash.  Since it was late and cold, and we had
a bit of bar inspired brass, we got back in and tried to start the Dodge.
It started, and no more flames.  The heater no longer worked, but the
lights
worked.  I drove that car for another year, without any repairs to the
torched wiring.

About 1 year later, 4 of us were coming home from a party in NYCin the same
care.
One of my friends was sleeping in the front seat and he kicked that mass of
melted
wires. The car died for about 10 secs. then roared back to life.  In about
5 more sec. we started to smell smoke.  Instant replay.  I stop the car and
we all pile out on the Pulaski (sp?) Skyway.  As were are standing in front
of the car, my friend from the first fire and I, are standing there saying
"Don't worry, it will go out".  In several mins. the flames were rolling
out
the windows.  That car burnt to the ground on top of the Pulaski Skyway.
I bet you could see it from the NYC.  Funny at the time and still funny,
at least to me.

-----
Bill Gilroy