Re: Crash safety and SUVs

To: mup1dm <mup1dm@surrey.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Crash safety and SUVs
From: xyzabcde@earthlink.net
Date: Mon, 30 Nov 1998 10:08:29 +0000
Douglas McKinnie told a great story:

> ME: 'But you drive a Ford Ranger with really high ground clearance.'
> HIM: 'You would need better than that for this road, the ruts are
>      much too deep and the surface doesn't give you any traction for
>      getting up the slopes.'
> ME: 'I don't remember it being so bad'
> HIM: 'When did you last try it?'
> ME: 'I came that way tonight.'
> HIM: 'What are you driving??'
> ME: 'My MGB.'

Reminds me of an incident when I was working in construction.  One job was
building a bridge out in the middle of nowhere before the road had gotten
there.  One morning after a rain, I drove to work on the dirt roads in a '63 MG
1100.  At one point, I drove through a lake 50' across and about 1' deep.  When
I got there, no one else was there.  About an hour later, one pickup truck with
everyone else in it showed up.  They'd all parked their pickup trucks in a
parking lot just before the start of the dirt road and had an hour long argument
about who was going to risk their truck driving it to work.

There were some sheepish looks when they got there and found me and my 1100.

Denise Thorpe