RE: and you thought Titanic was a Disaster..

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: RE: and you thought Titanic was a Disaster..
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 16:54:12 -0800
Neil:

        Your carburetor settings did not cause the problem!  End of
story.

        Any mechanical problems were there to begin with.  Getting the
engine running with full potential output may have broken loose
something that was already failing.  But it takes time for incorrect
settings to damage a mildly stressed street engine.

        This may not be applicable, but it seems like a good place to
mention it.
Two other unusual reasons for engine knocking I have seen.  1.  Ingested
nuts, bolts or washers (been there, done that) sounds like a rod knock.
2.  Intake valve adjustment way too tight.  Allows exhaust gas into the
intake manifold, the carb. dash pots bobble up and down clonking on the
carb body.

        Take heart.  Fix only what you see as necessary to get you by.
These engines are very forgiving and will run for a long (albeit
rackety) time with mismatched parts in them.  A fully balanced engine
with matched new components is a joy to drive.  But an engine with
mismatched pistons and used tappets will fire up and run every day too.

Kelvin.