Re: Arrrggghhhh!

To: "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Arrrggghhhh!
From: williem@mindspring.com
Date: Tue, 1 Dec 1998 22:50:00 -0500
The stud which protrudes from the center of the hub is 7/16 NF.  I fashioned
a 3 inch long 7/16 bolt with a nut that is used to connect threaded rods
together (about 3/4 inch tall) part way on to the end of the bolt. The nut
is only available in coarse thread, so I ran a NF tap into the open end and
gave myself a threaded end that could be screwed down on to the stud.  A lot
of tugging later (you could make a slide hammer arrangement out of this
thing if necessary) and the caps came off. You can work the caps a little
side to side while pulling straight out.  Be prepared to put new caps back
in if the old ones have been beat up and no longer have a clean circular end
on them. Once you have the caps off, go in through the hole in the splined
hub with needle nose pliers and retrieve the split pin.

BTW, I believe I heard that the tall nut on the thermostat cover is the
correct thread size also.  You might try it.