I just don't understand

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: I just don't understand
From: Bill Saidel <saidel@crab.rutgers.edu>
Date: Wed, 02 Dec 1998 09:07:28 -0500
Hi all,
        The MG gods were with me Sunday afternoon after a great 100 mile ride in
my '76B. Pulling into the driveway as its finale, the noise from under the
hood (yes, I am here in the US) increased by several orders of magnitude
and the puddle of oil under the car ballooned into a lake.

        The grinding noises indicate to me many nasties but as I have never done
an engine job, it sounds like a major undertaking for my winter's fun. As
much as I would like advice about that, that is not my question (but I will
be happy to entertain any and all suggestions).

        I checked the dipstick. The side of the dipstick that one reads
indicates
oil to the full line. Turn the dipstick around to look at the round side
and only the tip was wet.  OK, so I reinsert the dipstick (after wiping it
clean) only twisted 180 degrees and the same thing happened. What is the
design of the receptacle for the dipstick that permits this to happen? I
cannot imagine. If it were a cup or cup-like, it would coat the dipstick
entirely around, but the stick was not coated like that.

        Moreover, the fact that the same thing happened no matter which
direction
I inserted the dipstick suggests that it might not be due to an internal
blockage of the oil flow in which the dipstick receptacle had an 'in-flow'
and 'out-flow' direction.

        Please explain this. My imagination and engineering skills reached their
limits.

Bill

Dr. Bill Saidel
Assoc. Prof.                      Vocal phone   (609) 225-6336
Department of Biology             FAX  (609) 225-6312
Science Building                  email:  saidel@crab.rutgers.edu
315 Penn St.
Camden, NJ 08102 -1411
http://crab.rutgers.edu/~saidel/saidel.html

"Between the approximation of the idea and the precision
of reality, there is a small gap of the unimaginable."
Milan Kundera - "The Unbearable Lightness of Being"