Re: Brake bleeding

To: <john.griffen@savannah.chatham.k12.ga.us>, <MGS@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Brake bleeding
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Dec 1998 18:48:10 -0800
John.......

If only the front brakes are working, you may have more than a problem with
air in the lines. There's a good chance the rear wheel cylinders are seized
up, or that the rear hose has collapsed internally, or that the car has been
chained down on a flat bed hauler and the chains over the rear axle have
crushed the metal brake pipes.

The '77 I just put back on the road had two out of three of those problems!
(And I changed the hose anyway since I was fitting new ones at the front to
replace visibly cracked ones and I figured the rear one was probably the
same age.)

Pull off one rear drum at a time, have someone press the brake pedal and see
if both wheel cylinder pistons push out of the cylinder. If they don't,
start checking what needs to be replaced before you spend a lot of time
bleeding the system.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center