Connector Disassembly Tool #2

To: MG List <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Connector Disassembly Tool #2
From: Bud Krueger <bkrueger@ici.net>
Date: Sun, 06 Dec 1998 16:51:25 -0800
Hi list,

      Yesterday I posted a tip about using a bullet connector tube as a tool to
disassemble wiring harness connectors.  It should have been obvious that that
operation is meant for the cylindrical pins in connectors of the type that
connect harnesses together.

     Today I discovered that the solution to my nonstop wiper motor problem
required that I swap two wires in the plug that connects onto the wiper motor.
I'm not about to cut and splice wires in this new harness.  Solution?  Pull the
pins out of the plug and reinsert them in the correct holes.  How? Easy.  Tool?
Paper clip!

    The pins in the connectors (plugs) that use the flat, bayonet type of pin
are retained in the same manner as the cylindrical ones, a small barb that folds
back while being inserted and then springs out to prevent its being withdrawn.
If you look at the face of one of these plugs you'll see a small square slot
halfway along one edge of the pin's slot. (Oh, for a picture!)
This is where the barb is hiding.  Take a paper clip, straighten out one of the
ends, lay it on something hard and flatten it with a hammer (or equivalent
thereof).  You know have a disassembly tool for the plug.  Looking at the face
of the plug, insert the flattened paper clip into the small square slot portion
of the pin's slot and push it in until it bottoms.  It helps to push the wire up
into the slot as you begin to do this.  The paper clip will depress the barb on
the pin and allow you to remove the wire with the pin attached.  Simple as
that.  In my case I had to swap the wires for pins 4 & 5 of the wiper motor
connector to correct an error in the harness.

Bud Krueger
52TD
77MGB