Fw: OT and longish Re: Old Speckled Hen (BEER) longish

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Fw: OT and longish Re: Old Speckled Hen (BEER) longish
From: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>
Date: Sun, 6 Dec 1998 19:29:39 -0600
Beer is best when fresh and no yucky industrial shortcuts are taken, bottom
line.
Your average mass-produced American beer (like the Bud Ice sitting here in
front of me) is nasty by any standard, but is still "beer", barely. (it's
wet, cheap and has alcohol in it, but relatively tasteless)
The Germans legislated purity in the production and deliverance of this
nectar, and the Brits do so simply because they have good taste and would
lose customers if they did it wrongly.
The reason "imports" taste different is because they usually kill
(pasteurize) the wonderful bugs that keep eating and are are freshly
engorged and expired on the sugars that are introduced in the process, then
those dead bugs sit in the bottle for a while.
Not to be sick or morbid, but if you ate a steak that had been laying out
for a while after being boiled or frozen for purification of the nasties, it
wouldn't taste quite the same as a nice fresh off the carcass steak, would
it? Weak analogy, but that's about it.
You can find some good "micro-brews" here in the states that are natural.
You'll pay for them, of course, but no more than you would for a beer in the
Old World. It's just that most Americans have gotten used to cheap, nasty
beer. Having spent 4 years of my young life stationed in Germany, I can tell
you...there's beer and then there's American mass-produced beer.
Dan
73 B