Tourism: England vs. Australia <G> Hugely off topic. ;))

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Tourism: England vs. Australia <G> Hugely off topic. ;))
From: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 22:54:52 -0800
All,

Must clear up a few things here!! My job as an Australian. Well actually
I'm born a Kiwi, 10 years Australian, 2 years American and Pommie
parented - go figure. <G> Basically a mutt!

1. We get Speckled Hen on tap here. Apart from the cool MG coasters etc
the beer itself is.. Well lets just say "Don't worry it's only a
nightmare." I prefer Guinness. <G> It's not that bad. :)

>     I spent 4 years in England..and can tell from experience(10 to 12 >pints a

10-12 pints? Well that tells you how weak English beer is! If you came
to Sydney and we put 10-12 pints of any local beer into you you'd be
pushing your MG home, that's if you could still stand up - I would have
passed out somewhere round #6-7! <G> I visited my Uncle in Sunderland
(No northern jokes!) a few years ago and he drank somewhere near that
amount of beer each night. I thought he was kidding until I tried it
myself. <G> The beer isn't half as bad as we Aussie's make it out to be
but then again it's nothing like cold, cold, cold Aussie beer. I think
beer drinking in England is kind of like Ice Tea drinking in Texas.. At
least the quantities are similar. ;)

>So what are the other reasons for coming here (apart from the MGF)???

Well another problem there.. ;) we get better spec MGF's here in
Australia than you do in the UK. I think leather seats are standard,
upgraded trim, all the export goodies. Phil - remember seeing a DJ in
your magazine  putting in leather seats, he should have just ordered an
F from here! ;) (BTW keep up the home mechanic articles! Great!) An F
here starts around $50K ($30K USD, 20K UKP) so they're not cheap, but
cars aren't cheap here generally as we import everything except Fords,
Holdens and Mitsubishi's with the odd Toyota thrown in (thrilling eh?).
:(( But we do have a huge selection of imports.

The weather is better, the women are se.. err.. *ahem* (OK darlin'
they're not as nice as Texan girls! *grovel* <G>), the beer is stronger
and there are more MG's than you can poke a stick at!

That said, I still wouldn't pass up a drive around the Lake District in
an MG if someone offered. <G> Last time I was there we did it in a new
Rover 400 something. Not quite the same, thats when we visited the MG
Factory at Abingdon and had a beer at the (I think..) 'Magic Midget' is
it? Someone local will inform me correctly. :) When I was there -
1990-91 I think, the MG Car Club had take up residence in the old
offices. Got photo's somewhere, been a member of that club since then...
All I really remember is some Swiss guy's (Rally/Race) Red MGC GT
sebring copy in the parking lot. mmmm!

So when y'all coming down under?? <G> :))

Yours in jest,
Neil.