Re: Why did it fail? and software..

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Why did it fail? and software..
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Mon, 07 Dec 1998 14:34:56 -0500
Neil Cotty wrote:
> I did notice my oil
> pressure wasn't too hot, maybe just dipping 50 (after getting pretty
> warm (N for my car! <G>), giving it a bit of juice).

  What's more important is pressure at idle, but if it
was over 10 it should have been at least good enough to
not cause major shutdown. 20 is better but the warning light
doesn't come on until 8 or under.

> I also recently
> switched to Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil after a suggestion from a friend who's
> using it in old cars. I was skeptical about this but I've read a few
> corrobatory articles in old car magazines so I decided to give it a try.
> I don't suppose the oil could have been a factor? Too thin?

  What grade was it?

  The major "gotcha" of synthetic oil seems to be that it's
a very good solvent. So it tends to dissolve all those old
lumps and clumps of oil in your engine that have been there
since the car was 3 years old.

  I suppose it is possible that one of those clumps was
"set free" and it found a new home in a much worse place,
blocking some critical oilway. Sounds possible, but I wouldn't
say THAT'S IT just yet.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca