re:steering boots

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: re:steering boots
From: Calvin Krug <ckrug@laf.cioe.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 17:56:45 -0500
>Date: Mon, 7 Dec 1998 15:19:00 -0800
>From: "BIDGOOD, ALAN" <BIDGOODA@pab22a.ssd.loral.com>
>Subject: Steering Boots
>

>Hi all,
>
>I have a 1973 BGT, and the rubber boots on the steering rack are all
>split.
>
>I was wondering how easy a job it is to replace them?
>
> - Anybody out there done this and have any tips or advice?
>
>Thanking you all in anticipation.
>
>Alan B.'

I did this last year on my '79 roadster.  It's not too difficult, assuming
that you have a ball joint separator, a.k.a. "pickle fork" to remove the
tie rod end from its attachment at the spindle.  The tie rod ends must be
removed to slide the new boots in place on the rack, just be sure to put
them back on exactly the same number of turns as you took them off, or it
will mess up your alignment.  This would also be a good time to check the
condition of those tie rod ends, since they will be off the car anyway.

Calvin Krug