brief Guiness history lesson(was Beers of the world)...longish

To: Chris.Nevard@BSKYB.COM, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: brief Guiness history lesson(was Beers of the world)...longish
From: H4aardvrk@aol.com
Date: Tue, 8 Dec 1998 23:46:04 EST
In a message dated 12/8/98 1:28:27 AM Mountain Standard Time,
Chris.Nevard@BSKYB.COM writes:

<< Guinness in southern Ireland is not pasteurized, that's why it tastes
 better! >>
Chris,
     I believe some clarification is in order here..Guinness is indeed brewed
in Ireland..and that beer, "brewed" in Ireland is one of the two or three best
beers brewed in the world(to my taste amongst others)..However...That very
same Guinness beer that is exported to England is not the exact same great
dark stout that is enjoyed in Ireland..AND that same Irish brew,exported to
the USA is but a shadow of the same beer that was brewed and enjoyed in
Ireland...
   WHY is this??We have to consider how this king of a brew gets to England
and then to the rest of the world...
     There is a body of water known as the North Atlantic Ocean between
Ireland and England..it is a tumultious body of water,wrought with storms and
hence waves..The beer is transported in tanker ships to England and then put
up in bottles or shipped in kegs..The ship, tossed from wave crest to wave
crest does something to it's cargo..It froths the hell out of it..foam..air
being introduced into the beer in the tanker hold..in short..the beer is
physically and chemically changed from the time it leaves port in Dubelin. It
changes from the king of beer to a bastard prince,by comparisn,by the time it
get to England..
    If one projects the time and harsh travel conditions it endures on a trip
to say the USA...well..it is no wonder that the Guinness served in the USA is
not even recognisable to an Irishman who knows what it is supposed to taste
like..
     If one cares to test my reasoning,all hor she has to do is hop a jet to
Ireland,stop at the first public house he comes across,toss the barkeep 65
pense and say the words"a pint o Guinness please"..the beverage served to the
weary traveler will be one of the most satsifying brews served anywhere in the
world.
         Yours, H4(Howard).who prefers his beer served very near where it is
brewed.