RE: Purple Circuit II

To: "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: RE: Purple Circuit II
From: "Andrew Errington" <ame@synaptics.com>
Date: Thu, 10 Dec 1998 11:49:17 -0800
Hi,

> The details:  Power on purple at the switch, power at both horns, black
> ground and purple/black wire going up into the stalk on the switch.
> Press the stalk in, no horns.
>
> Two questions:  How would I go about testing the horns in situ?  How do
> you get that stalk apart to fix a bad contact (presuming that is what it
> is)?

The horns are wired to the positive supply on one side (the purple wire) and
to the horn switch on the other.  The horn switch works by connecting that
wire to ground.  You can test the horns by disconnect the multiway connector
to the stalk switch under the dash and identifying the horn wire and the
ground wire on the side that comes from the engine compartment.  Use a piece
of wire to short the horn wire to ground and you should get a spark and a
blast from the horns.  Pick up the wire that you just dropped and do it
again.

You can also do this at the horns themselves.  They have two push-on spade
connectors, and you must be absolutely sure which is the positive side and
which is the switch side.  Connect a length of wire to the body of the car
at any bare metal point for a ground, and touch it to the connector which is
the switch side of the horn, and again you should be rewarded with a tuneful
blast.  Wait for your heart to slow down before trying again.  If you choose
the wrong side connector on the horn you will be presented with a big spark
and a blown fuse, so be careful.

Of course to get around the problem of blown fuses you could cut a piece of
metal rod, or maybe a nail, to size and use it in place of the fuse, that
way even though your wiring loom would melt and burst into flames your fuse
will not let you down! =:^)

Andy