Re: Wire Wheel Help

To: <JustBrits@aol.com>, <rrobertsmg@hotmail.com>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Wire Wheel Help
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Sun, 13 Dec 1998 14:44:42 -0500
>  'Generally', when they need paint, they need other help.
>
>Ed

    When I was ready for 'good' wire wheels on my MGB, I called
Dayton Wire to have mine taken care of.  To have five wheels trued,
repainted, and checked for general soundness, it would cost about
$20 less than four brand new painted wires from a Moss distributor.
Not only that, if the splines or spokes were shot on the old wheels,
there would be an additional charge.  To top it off, rebuilding my
wheels would take about a month, while Moss had new wheels at my
door by the end of the week.
    So, I bought new wheels and went with it.  I had one very good
spare wire wheel that I use for a spare.  So, if it turns out that
your wheels need more than just paint, I'd suggest that you look
into getting new wheels instead of having yours fixed.  When these
wheels get ragged, I'll probably buy four or five new ones too...
    P.S. - Moss might say that their wheels need to be trued when
you get them - according to George Merryweather, that's not so...I
trusted him, and they were true when they got to me - upon
balancing, all wheels took the same amount of weight...YMMV

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/