TVR for sale...

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: TVR for sale...
From: "Richard A. King" <richard.king@hit.fi>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 10:41:58 +0200
The TVR sounds interesting, but looks like quite a project, don't you think?

I mean, I see things like "dismantled for restoration" and shudder.  Sounds
like a jigsaw puzzle to me.  And how to ship this thing, a big box?  Looks
like the body is off, as well.  And the engine is seized.  Is there any
good news?

Maybe someone on the list is an optimist.  Oh, yes.  The price is $2000 or
so...

Good luck.

RAK

>Item Description:
>       This vehicle was first registrated on 10th May 1962, Chassis no. 7B/509,
and according to the archives of the TVR Car Club in England, is one the
last trailing arm-type TVRs to have been made, as production ended at
chassis number 530. The car is complete and dismantled for restauration,
with the body detatched from the chassis. According to the TVR club
records, the MkIIA is the rarest of all surviving Granturas with only some
22 per cent of total production known to survive and only 5 in the USA. It
was a right hand driven car, but is already rebuild for left hand.
>     CHASSIS
>Prior to my ownership of the car, it was owned for some 10 years by an
accomplished mechanic and welder who detatched the body from the chassis
and carried out extensive repairs to all the body outriggers which had
suffered the usual rusting caused by water being trapped in betweeen the
body and the chassis tube. Consequently, the chassis in in extremely good
order and represents the only viable base on which to start a comprehensive
restoration.
>     BODY
>The body is in predominantly good condition. Some inner panels have been
removed and restored. The body is clear from paint and has been restored on
weak places.
>Importantly, the car retains its correct and distinctive TVR
“bumperettes”, which are virtually unobtainable at present.
>     SUSPENSION
>Supplied withe the car are all four suspension units. The front units
consist of four trailing arms complete with semi-circular front uprights,
kingpins, top and bottom bronze trunions and locating bolts used to secure
the uprights to the trailing arms. At the rear, the rear “figure of eight”
uprights are both in good condition and are supplied complete with the
appropriate locating bolts.
>     BRAKES
>The car retains the correct Austin Healey 100/6 disc brakes at the front
and drum brakes at the rear.
>    ENGINE
>The car is supplied with the now scarce Mk1 MGA 1588cc engine and gearbox.
The engine is thought to be in good mechanical condition, being a B.M.C.
“Gold Seal” reconditioned unit, although attention will be required to
seized piston rings before further use.
>    ELECTRICS
>The car is retains the correct and scarce Smiths Speedometer and
Tachometer, which, to my knowledge, are preculiar to Granturas. Both are in
good condition. The car als retains all the correct fittment lights and
indicators.