Was Towbar,now dead horse

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Was Towbar,now dead horse
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 09:44:04 -0800
My 2 new pence worth.

        I do not recommend towing an LBC with the driveshaft in place
for any distance over 50 miles.

        On most of our LBCs' the bearings of the mainshaft are
lubricated by oil splashed by the laygear assembly (the one at the
bottom of the box).  When a car is towed with the driveshaft in place
the main shaft of the transmission is driven by the rear wheels.  The
laygear is not driven, therefore there is no oil splash lubrication.
The lack of lubrication CAN cause premature wear and possible failure of
the main shaft bearings.  Note the emphasis on "can".  If you have a
well filled box, if you hit enough bumps, if you use high quality gummy
lubricant, if you are lucky, you will have a successful tow.  Note, no
emphasis on the "ifs".

        The Rover SD1 5 speed gear box used on many B V8 conversions
goes one step further.  All lubrication is by laygear driven pump.
Towing a vehicle fitted with this gearbox with a driveshaft in place
WILL destroy the bearings, end of story.

        Lubrication starvation may not cause immediate problems.  When
gearbox bearings fail prematurely it is unlikely that the cause will be
pinpointed to the flat tow 2 years ago that flat spotted a couple of
ball bearings.

Kelvin.