Towing Cars

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Towing Cars
From: Keith Wheeler <keithw@sand.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Dec 1998 19:00:30 -0800
I will admit that I'm not a Mech E, and I don't have too much
to do with towing cars.

That said, I would not let someone tow my (once it's completed!)
MGB V-8 project without removing the driveshaft.  Why?  Well, the
SD1/TR-7/TR-8 gearbox has an oil pump, one that is driven by
the input shaft.  If the car is towed from the front and the
driveshaft is not disconnected, the rear bearing gets lots of
motion and no lotion.  This has been the demise of many TR-7
gearboxes.

Now, in a "normal" (that is splash lubricated) gearbox, this
would not be the case.  All of the anecdotal testimony aside,
what is the mechanism for, say a stock MGB, having trouble
due to be being towed with the driveshaft in place?

-Keith Wheeler
Team Sanctuary                          http://www.teamsanctuary.com/