Starter (73B)

To: <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Starter (73B)
From: "Nick Coleman" <coleman@sd.aonix.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 1998 09:47:28 -0800
Just finished redoing the interior (new carpet, leather seating, side
panels, stereo, Robbins soft top -- looks great) and you'd think the B would
be happy for awhile.  But, no she wants more attention (I think my wife is
starting to get jealous of the other woman -- Ms. B.)

When I try to start her, I generally get a single click from the starter
solenoid.  Try it few times and it will eventually turn the starter/engine.
Yesterday, I got nothing and had to push start her.  This morning, back to
the single click symptom.

But, I've also been getting some other symptoms.  The batteries (replaced
this summer) may not be getting fully charged which may be contributing to
the problem.  I've noticed that when idling, if I put my turn signal on, the
blinker will slow down after a bit.  Interior lights also get brighter as
the RPMs increase.  I think that tells me the alternator is not putting out
enough juice.  I've also been told that that if you start w/ low batteries
(they were run down when I redid the interior), the alternator will not
fully charge them.

To test that end, I jumped the batteries to our other car and let it charge
for 20 minutes.  Single click still occurred.  But, since I'm jumping from a
single 12 volt battery to the twin-6s, would that charge them...should...

I also tried to disconnect the leads to the solenoid last night to clean
them.  But, didn't have the correct sized socket (somewhere between 1/2 and
9/16) to get them loose.

Thoughts?

Nick
73B