MGC clutch - update

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: MGC clutch - update
From: Lane Rollins <laner@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 18 Dec 1998 09:18:34 -0800
Since I didn't get any replies I took things into my own hands yesterday
and found a solution. You can use a clutch MC from a TR250/early TR6. They
have a little adapter that you need to get rid of, the fitting isn't the
right size for the pipe on the C. But the adapter is put into the proper
size for the C. The later TR6 units have the larger hole for the pipe
already in the unit, so they will not work on the C. The downsides (?) are
the bore on triumph unit is 3/4 and the C is 5/8 so it can be a little
stiffer, but for those of you running without boosters on the brakes it
should keep you from overdeveloping your right leg. The other minor
difference is the rod that goes to the pedal is about 1/4" shorter. Once I
get it bled a little better I think it will be an good substition, even
with a quick and dirty job it seems pretty good.

Another thing that I learned yesterday is that you can replace them without
removing the pedal box as the workshop manual says. It's not easy, but
neither is pulling the pedal box. The only really hard part is getting the
nut on the lower bolt.

Happy holidays,
Lane