Re: Cruise control

To: jemery@mint.net, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Cruise control
From: MSAWDEY@aol.com
Date: Sun, 20 Dec 1998 00:13:49 EST
In a message dated 98-12-19 17:01:37 EST, jemery@mint.net writes:

<< Has anyone used the JC Whitney
 unit?  I realize that they are considered the lowest form of parts
 purveyors, but who else vends one?  >>

I installed one of the Whitney units on my '81 Dodge RV several years ago,
have driven all over the country, and have found it works well. My son
installed one on his Honda CRX with similar good results. These "universal"
units operate by using a magnetic pickup device: you strap a small permanent
magnet to your driveshaft (or to one of the axle shafts on a front wheel drive
car) and mount the pickup a half-inch or so from it (to the side, so the up
and down movement of the driveshaft won't cause interference). The magnet
doesn't appear to upset driveshaft balance; it's very small and I think there
may be a counterweight on the other side of the strap. The thing cost about
$70 and installation took a few hours. The throttle servo units operate a
cable that you'll need to figure out how to hook onto the existing throttle
cable. There's always a certain amount of cut-and-try for the installation,
but it doesn't take a rocket scientist. The control unit has a series of DIP
switches that can be set to compensate for different axle ratios and tire
sizes (you only need to get an approximate match, so that the unit comes alive
at about 35 mph).

I haven't installed one on my '72 B-GT, but probably would if I took it on
long trips, based on the experience I have had with the RV. For day-after-day
driving cross country, I wouldn't be without it.

Michael Sawdey
'72 B-GT: Celebrating 10 years in primer (maybe next year...)