Re: SU Carbs

To: "Chris Chandler" <spawn@net-link.net>, "MG List" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: SU Carbs
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Mon, 21 Dec 1998 08:06:50 -0800
Chris.....

That the car should run only with the choke pulled all the way out, yet
three of the plugs showed very sooty, suggests lots of problems, I'm afraid!
so, I'll just answer the last two questions..........

There should be no perceptible play at the throttle shaft/body junction. New
shafts and bushings in the body sound like the cure, although you might be
lucky enough to find the bulk of the wear in your shafts so you could fit
oversize shafts after running a suitably sized drill bit or reamer through
the bodies. Replacing bushings requires some specialized equipment, best
left to an expert.

How to test the vacuum unit? Remove the distributor cap, suck hard on the
pipe to the unit (preferably with a hand-vacuum pump; gas fumes taste nasty
and are not good for you) and watch to see if the distributor plate rotates
a few degrees. If it does, and does not creep back while you maintain a
steady vacuum, the unit is OK.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center
(Supplier of Moss rebuilt carbs and body re-busher extraordinaire)