Re: Concrete Floors

To: richard.arnold@JUNO.COM, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Concrete Floors
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Thu, 24 Dec 1998 09:13:52 EST
In a message dated 12/24/98 4:56:46 AM Pacific Standard Time,
richard.arnold@juno.com writes:

> I wanted to ask the list's advice on how to best protect the floor from
>  stains, etc, and keep it easy to clean.  I was considering sealing the
>  floor with a commercially available sealant such as Thompson's, or the
>  like.  Has anyone used anything like this, and what were the results?

Thompsons is probably not the best bet.  Thompsons is designed to keep water
out not things like gas and oil.  The choices are a floor paint or a floor
sealer.  Paint is just like what it sounds like a paint that is designed to go
on floors.  It will wear off in high traffic areas but can be touched up.
Floor sealers are a heavier, more long lasting product.  Some of these
products have epoxy in them and will yellow over time if exposed to sunlight.
I have epoxy floor sealer on my shop floor at my teaching facility and it is
now 8 years old and holding up well.  It will discolor if you spill something
on it and leave it there for a long time.
One side benefit of a light gray floor.  The floor reflects enough light that
drop lights are less necessary when under the car.  The floor reflects lots of
light.
One word of caution however, if the water table where you are is high enough
to come up through the concrete, it will cause the floor sealant to bubble off
the surface.  I saw this once.  It did not break it just looked like a big
blister (10 feet across) in the middle of the floor.
Good luck and BTW I'm jealous
Rick Ewald