Speedo error

To: "MGs digest" <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Speedo error
From: "n" <twobees@sprynet.com>
Date: Mon, 14 Dec 1998 18:07:02 -0500
Some recent threads have touched on this.  But, I need some specific help.

Earlier this year I installed a 4-synchro trans from a '69 B in my '66 B.
The speedometer reading is optimistic by about 20%.  At an indicated 60 mph
I'm doing an actual 49 mph.  At indicated 80, it's 63.

Since the '69 speedo doesn't fit the '66 dash, what can be done?  Does the
angle drive off the trans have a different ratio early vs. late?  Or, does
it require major surgery to replace the speedo drive gear in the trans?

Planning on a c/r o/d trans next year.  But would like to correct readings
asap.

Norm Sippel
Grossly optimistic '66 MGB