Re: Thrown Rod

To: "Warren Pruitt" <wpruitt@Charleston.Net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Thrown Rod
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Dec 1998 07:34:30 -0800
Depending on whether the rod made a hole in just the side wall of the block,
or if it messed up internal oil galleries or bearing support areas, a
competent welder might be able to fabricate a patch for the block. However,
such a job would take more than a few minutes and a good welder's charges
would surely be at least $100 for such a job. After that, you'd still have
to worry about main bearing saddle alignment, the need to re-bore the
cylinders, replacing the damaged rod with one of equal weight to the others,
etc.

This seems rather a waste of money when there are so many spare blocks
around. I must have a half-dozen 18V engines (without heads)that need
overhaul and that I'd be very happy to sell for $100 apiece.
I'm sure there are other such deals available on your side of the country.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center