Re: Re; Cold weather starting

To: "Dan Ray" <danray@bluegrass.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Re; Cold weather starting
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Dec 1998 18:17:10 -0800
One more "For Pete's Sake" and I'm done for 1998, I promise.................

WHY, oh why do so many of you keep referring to starting procedures that
either call for "giving the pedal a few pumps" or (in another post)
"DO NOT PUMP THE PEDAL"? It takes but a moment to look at the SU carburetor
design, or the Zenith Stromberg design, and see that THERE IS NO ACCELERATOR
PUMP on either of these carbs!

Any "pumping of the pedal" is doing nothing but exercise your ankle and
shorten the life of the cable and associated pivot mechanisms!

And, Yes, I know, Webers do have accelerator pumps, but I get the feeling
that the misunderstanding lies mostly with people whose cars still have
their original carburetors.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center