Re: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)

To: "Skye Poier" <skye@ffwd.bc.ca>, <REwald9535@aol.com>
Subject: Re: Points Gap and Timing (2Q)
From: "Harlan Jillson" <hjillson@argolink.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:28:01 -0600
Skye,
    10 BTDC is more advanced than 5 BTDC ( spark occurring 10 in advance of
the piston reaching TDC).  If your dwell angle and timing remain pretty
steady, you probably don't have much distributor shaft wear to worry about.
    Seeing as how you are setting your timing with a light,  I'd say you are
trying to set it too retarded by the numbers you're quoting.  10 BTDC would
be close to right ( book) if you are idling at 500 rpm with the vacuum
advance disconnected and plugged ( I believe you have a '66 right?).  If
your idle rpm is higher (1000-1200), you will probably need to set the
timing more in the neighborhood of 20 for it to run right, because of the
advance being cranked in by the weights in the distributor.
Harlan.