Re: Springs and things

To: "Jack Emery" <jemery@mint.net>, <mgs@Autox.Team.Net>
Subject: Re: Springs and things
From: "wizardz" <wizardz@amdyne.net>
Date: Sun, 3 Jan 1999 12:44:42 -0500
I went through this wil Moss as well but did get a correct spring for my 73
GT the second time. The length of each of the 7 leafs were much shorter on
the second set, thereby letting the car settle down to a ride hieght of
13.5" to match the front. The first set of 7 leafs Moss sent put my ass end
up at 15.2"
I added a lowering block to the first set which brought it back down to a
resaonable 14.0" but the ride was just too.... juoncey (yes jouncey not
bouncy, meaning short sharp rebounds but controlled.)
when I put on the second set (shorter length leaves).. The ride is PERFECT!
the car is perfectly level at 13.5" +/- 1/4"
and OB rides beautifully

----------
> From: Jack Emery <jemery@mint.net>
> To: mgs@autox.team.net
> Subject: Springs and things
> Date: Saturday, January 02, 1999 6:15 PM
>
> Many B's, many springs.  My '67 V-8 roadster has evolved to the following
> setup.  CB GT front coils with HD lever arms, 3/4 front sway bar, V-8
> bushings and more or less stock '67 ride height.  In the rear I am using
6
> leaf CB rdstr springs with tube shocks (colt) and more or less stock ride
> height.  The car weighs less than 2100 pounds and handles reasonably
well.
> Tires are 185-70 Michelins on 14x6 Panasports.  Under violent
acceleration
> in low gear it will "basketball" the rear tires.  Under hard braking no
> wheel bounce occurs.
>
> The prior setup in the rear was AHC31 7 leaf GT springs with Monroe tube
> shocks (G10).  It rode hard but hooked up real well.  Drop the clutch and
2
> black stripes.  But....under hard braking it would bounce the rear wheels
> and under hard cornering the rear would float laterally and allow tire
> rubbing.  It also had a touch of roll steer.  And it rode hard.
>
> I believe the reason for the 7 leaf springs faults lie in the fact that
> they are rubber bumper springs.  Moss only sells one set of GT springs,
and
> they are marked AHC31.  I am not sure where Bob Ford gets his.  They
supply
> these for CB cars but the springs have 1 1/2 inches too much arch for a
CB
> car.  You will wait many moons for those suckers to sag to CB height.  I
> fabricated a 1 inch lowering block, but the arch causes all sorts of
> geometry issues.  For maximum lateral strength the spring should be FLAT.
>
> The hot setup IMHFO is the MGC roadster 6 1/2 leaf spring.  Yep, the 1/2
> leaf is on the leading end of the spring to control wrap up and wheel
hop.
> The same spring was used in factory 8's.  I have a used pair that I will
> clean and redo with poly sheet between each leaf, spring project for
Spring