Re: Crank Bearings

To: spaninc@mail.entelnet.bo, mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: Re: Crank Bearings
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Tue, 5 Jan 1999 08:18:51 EST
In a message dated 1/3/99 10:35:09 PM EST, spaninc@mail.entelnet.bo writes:

<< Hi List, I got back from the machine shop that installed the cam bearings
 and also installed the crank to check that the tunel for the crank was
 straight. When I dismantled the crank and took the bearings out I noticed
 that on some parts of the bearings the top matte cover was slightly worn
 off. The bearings and crank were well lubed. Am I panicing or is that top
 cover on the bearings supposed to come off? Thanks, Enrique >>

It is perfectly normal to see some places that the matte finish of the
bearings had been altered in places. It is very delicate. What you don't want
to see are gouges that go into the bearing, something you can catch your
finger nail on. In really bad cases, you can even see copper (a lower strata
of the bearing).

Actually, it's pretty amazing how much abuse a bearing can take. I've seen
some really awful looking bearings that were still providing good service, no
knock and keeping the oil pressure up in a reasonable range.

Squirt a little more oil on them as you reassemble.

R. Johnson - Dallas