replacing pistons

To: mgs@Autox.Team.Net
Subject: replacing pistons
From: Gaetke <gaetke@ix.netcom.com>
Date: Sat, 09 Jan 1999 09:36:44 -0800
        To start off with, I should find out if my head is salvageable this
morning.

        But my question is, when I'm replacing my cracked piston, do I need to
buy
a whole new set and replace all four (Moss apparently only sells them in
sets of 4) or can I get away with just replacing the destroyed one?
Lawrie, or any one else on the list that has parts, can you part me out a
single piston if I get some measurements (it's still in the block right
now)?  Does this go back to the idea of balancing all of your rod/piston
sets exactly, although didn't we decide that it wasn't that important in a
street, low-miles-per-annum, engine?  Or, would I be a fool to compromise
the balance of my engine to save most of the 260 USD cost of four new pistons?

        I guess it won't be that bad if I don't have to replace the head, but I
don't know if I have that beast off my back yet...

        TIA,

  -Matt Gaetke