Re: replacing pistons - Technical Caveat.

To: gaetke@ix.netcom.com, palte@gmx.net
Subject: Re: replacing pistons - Technical Caveat.
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 9 Jan 1999 10:53:37 EST
In a message dated 1/9/99 10:23:26 AM EST, gaetke@ix.netcom.com writes:

<<      If you ridge ream (as I heard somewhere :) that I should) doesn't that
 make it possible to use stock rings?  I can rent a ridge reamer free for
 nothin' from a parts store, so shouldn't I be set with that?

        I don't know, I've never done it, but that's the way I thought it works.
 If it isn't, let me know quick, if I'll be getting rings from Germany... :)

   -Matt >>

Matt,

You can't put standard rings in without removing the ridge. The first time the
piston comes TDC, the ring would be damaged. Also, I dont know about the "L"
rings you speak of. I've never heard of these. If the new pistons top ring
grove it a tiny bit higher on the new piston than the old, the offset provided
by the "L" ring might not be enough. If you weren't replacing the pistons, the
"L" rings sound like a plausable short cut, but reaming isn't all that
difficult and you still have to hone the bore anyway so the new rings will
seat.

You might be able to rent a ridge reamer or even buy one. I'm guessing that
$30 would probably get you one. I bought one from Sears in 1967 and still have
it. You need to be careful to not remove any more metal than necessary, but at
the same time enough to eliminate the step in the cylinder wall. Read the
directions carefully.

When you ream the ridge, stop often and run your fingernail upward. When you
can no longer catch it on the ridge, you've gone far enough. Your only talking
about 2 or 3 thousands, I'm guessing. Your probably going to spend five to ten
minutes per bore, mainly because your going to be starting, stopping checking
and then restarting a few times. The actual reaming will only that a minute or
so per bore.

Your also going to need a cylinder hone to give a nice cross-hatch pattern to
the entire bore. This is done with liberal amounts of oil, a three or four
stone hone and a pistol drill. It only takes a minute or so per bore.

If you know anyone who has done this type of thing before that could be there
and give you a little guidance it would be nice, but not absolutely necessary.
Where are you located?

R. Johnson - Dallas