Off-Topic and Long: Dates

To: WSpohn4@aol.com, mgs@triumph.cs.utah.edu
Subject: Off-Topic and Long: Dates
From: richard.arnold@juno.com (Richard D Arnold)
Date: Mon, 11 Jan 1999 07:08:56 -0600
Bill:

>For those that don't know what century they are in......
>Arthur C. Clarke Upset Over 2000 "millennium"

While I admire Clarke's abilities as a writer (I particularly like his
grocer's scale analogy despite the apples and oranges problem; 'tis much
better than my odomoter reference)
and recognize his strong scientifc background, I can not accord him much
more credibility than I would, say, an actor called to testify before our
congress on homelessness.

I'll grant, though, that Clarke is probably more qualified than most to
comment upon the subject.  However, he appears confused about his own
argument in how to go bout calculating the calendar:  "Clarke said ...
that 2000 should be called the Centennial Year and 2001 the Millennial
Year."

If we accept his position -- and I admit the technical validity of his
argument -- that centuries are 100 years in length and began at the year
one, then the Centennial year and the Millenial year would coincide.  His
statement that the year 2000 should be the Centennial year is merely
meant to appease the masses who disagree with a literal interpretation of
the calendar.  Thus, Clarke has publicly recognized that the public's
interpretation of the calendar is quite different than his own.

I stand by my original statement that -- as a society -- we have
constructively made the first century 99 years in length, and all
succeeding centuries 100 years in length.  While this may not be
acceptable to literalists or scientists, it certainly would not be the
first time that the public has overridden a technically correct
viewpoint.  It appears, then, that despite the technical correctness of
other arguments, through our common practices and traditions set the
beginning date of the new millenium as 1 Jan 2001 (personally, I plan to
celebrate twice).

Now, I must be off to settle the silly questions of whether Darwin should
be hanged or burned (hmmm, wonder if ducking stools are still available),
and how far one can sail toward the horizon before falling off the edge
of the world....

Hope you have a great day!

Rich