RE: 41491 distributor - 54425359 vac advance unit

To: Carl Elliott <grunt2@adelphia.net>
Subject: RE: 41491 distributor - 54425359 vac advance unit
From: "Dodd, Kelvin" <doddk@mossmotors.com>
Date: Fri, 15 Jan 1999 12:34:29 -0800
Carl:

The 41491 distributer you have is correct for the low comp. Fed.73 MGB.
The O.E. part number for the vacuum advance unit is 37H7837 Lcs 54425359,
not RTC1425.

RTC1425 is the vacuum unit for a UK 71-74 MGB.  This is a common problem
where a supplier relies on UK derived cataloging.

Characteristics:

54411969  5-12-8    Suitable for ported vacuum pickup

54425359  10-15-5   Suitable for manifold vacuum pickup

Begin ins HG -  End ins HG -  degrees of advance.

        The unit you were sold may aggravate detonation if installed on the
original distributor and connected to the manifold.

        Sorry to be a bringer of bad news, your suggestion to buy a new o
ring was a very good one.
        Also set aside some time to straighten the dist. hold down clamp.
Most are in poor shape.  Oh, and don't forget to check for a cracked dist.
body before buying anything.  They tend to crack where the hold down clamps
them.  Do not overtighten the clamp!!

Kelvin.