Shop Tip - Caliper Piston Dust Seals

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Shop Tip - Caliper Piston Dust Seals
From: Chris and Jodi Barnhart <barnhart@geneseo.net>
Date: Sat, 16 Jan 1999 21:46:47 -0600
Hi all,

Thought I'd share this tip on making a tool for pressing in front brake
caliper piston dust seals.  Buy a 2 inch cast iron pipe end cap. Scribe
a line all around 5/8 inch from the bottom of the closed end. Cut away
the open end with a hacksaw. File the remaining cup edges flat (See
cheesy ASCII art below). The 2 inch pipe cap fits perfectly over the
piston.  I used two C clamps to press the seals home.  No need to split
the calipers, either.  Figure about 2 bucks and 30 minutes to make.

--------------------------Cut here and file flat
 |___________________|  Use this piece

Chris
'69B