Re: Cam lift, pushrods and other neat stuff. <G>

To: Neil Cotty <neilc@tradesrv.com.au>
Subject: Re: Cam lift, pushrods and other neat stuff. <G>
From: Susan and John Roper <vscjohn@iamerica.net>
Date: Sun, 17 Jan 1999 20:41:46 -0600
Neil, changing the lift of the cam does not effect geometry.  If you change the
distance between the cam and the rocker, i.e. by decking the block, milling the
head, that's a different matter.  When you go to a cam with increased lift, the
heel of the cam where you set clearence does not change(unless the grinder has
to remove metal from the heel to get the lift you want).  You may need to change
pushrod length if you cut the head or block substantially, to the point that you
have to shim the rocker shaft stands to recover the proper relation between the
rocker and valve.  In that case what you will be trying to do is gain the most
lift, i.e. motion that your cam and rocker will provide by ensuring that the
rocker operates so that at 1/2 lift it is at 90 degrees to the valve.  You need
only draw out the path that the tip follows as it lifts the valve to understand
that you get the most lift if the rocker passes through the 90 degree position.
Assuming a vertical valve, the rocker will be moving the greatest distance for
each increment of cam lift when it is horizontal(90 degrees).  John