Re: Was cylinder heads unleaded fuel

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Was cylinder heads unleaded fuel
From: BobMGT@aol.com
Date: Mon, 18 Jan 1999 23:35:52 EST
In a message dated 1/16/99 11:20:30 PM !!!First Boot!!!, tboicey@brit.ca
writes:

>   In my situation, my 1970 MGB runs fine on cheap stuff, my
>  Celica runs on cheap stuff, but I run my 75 Midget on
>  premium. If I don't, it can occasionally ping and will run
>  on after hot shutdown.
>
>  --
>  Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
>  Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca
>  ICQ #17432933 http://www.brit.ca/~tboicey/

Trevor:

My 71 B has ping and run-on with regular (even a little occasional run-on with
premium). Just had the head reworked, so I know it's not carbon. I wonder
what's different between your 70 B and my 71 B. My TD, on the other hand,
never pings on any octane regardless of where the timing is set. Also, when
the ignition is turned off, the TD's motor stops very smoothly. The B's engine
stops abruptly with an occasional kick. I dare not cut the ignition with the
choke pulled out, that causes some serious run-on.

Bob Donahue (Still stuck in the '50s)
EMAIL - BOBMGT@AOL.COM
52 MGTD - under DIY restoration NEMGTR #11470
71 MGB   - AMGBA #96-12029, NAMGBR #7-3336