Re: Replacing Oil Cooler Hoses

To: ame@synaptics.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Replacing Oil Cooler Hoses
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sat, 23 Jan 1999 22:46:58 EST
In a message dated 1/23/99 8:38:14 PM EST, ame@synaptics.com writes:

<< Aaargh!

 How are you supposed to disconnect the oil cooler hose from the rear of the
 block (next to the oil pressure take off, the rear drain cock, the
 distributor, the heater valve and the starter)?

 I unscrewed the nut on the hose and the union piece started to unscrew as
 well, so I need to get two spanners on there right?  So, any clues on the
 best way to make space back there?  I will try taking off the distributor,
 but will that make enough space?

 If anyone knows the correct spanner size for the nut and the union I'd like
 to know.  Right now I am using shifting spanners (adjustable wrench) which
 are a bit big.

Yes, a very tight fit when the engine is in the car, but I have done it more
than once! The nut on the hose is 1" in size. I always use a 1" crowsfoot with
a 3/8" drive and about 12 to 18" of extensions to a ratchet. Pulling the
distributor will help clear the area. I can't remember if I also pulled the
heater valve. I don't know the size of the coupling below the hose nut. It has
always stayed put. It may be 1" also. You can probably get a regular wrench on
it since you don't have to move it, only hold it still.

R. Johnson - Dallas