Dead Headlight Switch

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Dead Headlight Switch
From: Eric Erickson <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Mon, 25 Jan 1999 02:32:42 +0510
I think these cute little MGs can be a tad on the vindictive side at
times. OK, so I know that I am a newbie when it comes to LBCs and many
of you already know this, but I just got a jolt of this "personality"
the other night.

A few weeks ago I had the unnerving experience of having my headlights
go out at a rather crucial driving moment.  No problems as it was just
the toggle switch, installed by the PO, going a little flaky.  Finding a
replacement switch sent me on a search for something either a) more
sturdy and/or b) more original.  I believe that it should be a two
position, "push/pull" knob - first position for the park lights.  Please
correct me if I am wrong on this point.

I still haven't found the replacement I am looking for, but had no
further problems with the headlights, maybe a flicker at times but just
a quick on/off fixed this at the time... until last night.

Deciding that I really should take some interim step to replace the
switch I bought another toggle switch, but rather than replace it
immediately I put off this little job until TOMORROW. Of course, later
that night the lights fail completely and no amount of twiddling with
the switch would work this time.  More worrying was the constant
"crackling" coming from behind the dash near the switch.  There was some
serious electrical arcing going on back there so I disconnect the
battery then pull the old switch out.

Funny, I also thought about that fire extinguisher that I had also
bought earlier but left at home in the garage (somewhere near that new
switch) promising to install it... TOMORROW!!!!

Today... new switch and fir extinguisher installed.

And the moral is... if you put it off until tomorrow it will bite you
TONIGHT!

Eric
'68MGB MkII