Fixing broken spokes...

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Fixing broken spokes...
From: Eric <eric@erickson.on.net>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 1999 01:53:52 +0509
I have only a couple of weeks before I take off on my long drive and I
need my spare wheel fully functional and SAFE so I am looking for an
'expert' to fix its broken spoke - and check a loose one - rather than
attempt it myself.  I think I may have the odd loose spoke on my other
wheels (using the "pitchfork" test) and I will get them checked as well.

Now the first place I got a quote from said that they would probably
replace *all* of the 'long' spokes on the spare when they replace the
broken one quoted an approximate $AUD90.00 (I think that is about 50c US
- or maybe as much as $US50.00 depending on current exchange rates).

Is this 'normal' for just what is one obviously broken spoke and another
one very loose (maybe because of the broken one)?  Are these guys just
going along for the ride on this?  They also mentioned 'other'
procedures they would need to do once the replaced the spokes.

The wheel looks virtually new... maybe very freshly painted... and the
other spokes all look in pretty sound condition so why replace *all* of
the long spokes? (This was quoted sight-unseen)

Eric
'68MGB MkII