Re: Another update, 1 question

To: "Florrie & Allen Bachelder" <bachldrs@swva.net>, <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Another update, 1 question
From: "Lawrie Alexander" <Lawrie@britcars.com>
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 09:19:32 -0800
Re: Cam bearing removal. It's not really necessary to remove them as the
acid bath/hot tank will pretty much destroy them! Perhaps what they are
really telling you is that you are going to have to buy new ones and they
will have to use their specialized equipment to install and ream them to
size.

Re: the "black, carbon-like stuff". That's rust! That plug is in the hole
that used to be where a block drain tap was fitted. Hot-tanking should clear
it out although unless you want to fit a drain tap instead of the plug, its
presence there causes no problems.

Re: woodruff key removal. I have an old, flat chisel the blade of which is
just a little thinner than the key. The end is ground concave, coming to a
fairly pronounced point. Tapped with a hammer, this can be driven in under
the end of the key, which is then forced up out of its keyway. However, if
your keys are in there really tight, you might want to convince yourself you
have a really good reason to take them out. Usually, so long as they are not
likey to fall out during machining operations, they can stay there without
causing anyone any problems.

Lawrie
British Sportscar Center