Re: Auto-X fever

To: Jurgen Hartwig <gt0003a@prism.gatech.edu>
Subject: Re: Auto-X fever
From: Barney Gaylord <barneymg@ntsource.com>
Date: Wed, 03 Feb 1999 05:37:58
Ah, one of my favorite subjects.

http://www.ntsource.com/~barneymg/mgtech/tires/tire1.htm

>Run max RPMS, or shift at HP peak?

For best accelleration from you MG, push it nearly to the red line (and
maybe a little more if you have a devil-may-care attitude).  You would want
to use the top-most portion of the horsepower curve.  This means that you
push it somewhat past the top of the curve before shifting so that it
doesn't fall too far back down the leading side of the curve after the shift.

>What class would I run in?  Please don't say BSP.  I would get stomped by
the Miata's and Porsche 914s.

A stock four cylinder MG will now run in H-Stock with SCCA (as of the 1996
season).  As a point of curiosity, that is now the slowest class on the
SCCA roster.  So now someone with a Volvo station wagon may get a little
PO'd if you beat them, but that's life in the modern world.  You will not
have to run against Miatas and Porsche 914s in Stock class.

Now mind you that it doesn't take much to get your MG bumped out of Stock
class.  Something as simple as installing wider wheels will do it.  Then
you end up in D-Street-Prepared where you have to run about 3-1/2 seconds
faster for a one minute lap to be competitive, roughly equal to a stock
Miata or Porsche 914.  In that case you had best read the rule book to see
what else is allowed in SP class (and be prepared to spend a few thousand
dollars for upgrades).

Now if you don't mind feeling really shafted, you could replace two 6-volt
batteries with one 12-volt battery.  Strictly speaking, that would
technically throw you all the way into D-Prapared class (lightening and
redistribution of weight).  Then you have to run against cars with slick
sticky tires, hundreds of pounds less weight, and maybe twice the power.

And if you you're really crazy for the ultimate in a speed trip, and you
have a very thick checkbook, you might try D-Modified, where almost
anything goes, and class is determined only by engine displacement and
vehicle weight.

>I'm so eager, I can't wait.

Save it for the track.  Local law officials usually take a narrow minded
view of racing in the streets.

Barney Gaylord
1958 MGA with an attitude