Re: trans/steering rack oil change 77B

To: "Proudfoot, Andrew" <proudfa@NAVCANADA.CA>, "mgs" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: trans/steering rack oil change 77B
From: "Mike Lishego" <mikesl@tartan.sapc.edu>
Date: Wed, 3 Feb 1999 18:55:42 -0500
I found that changing the oil in the steering rack was pretty
miserable - realize that you're dealing with heavy 90w fluid.

I had 90w everywhere.  That stuff doesn't clean up from garage
flooring very easily either.

I used a turkey baster and still had to wait for the fluid to drain
itself past the steering gears before I could add more.  I spent
about a half hour on the job and didn't notice better steering.
Then again, I think the fluid keeps the rack from wearing out.

I thought it was a worthwhile project to keep the car maintained,
but if I had it to do over again, I would have done the work on a
100 F August day instead of a December evening!

Michael S. Lishego
http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/Speedway/3706/