Re: Rebuilt Engine, No Oil Pressure

To: graham@haber.net, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Rebuilt Engine, No Oil Pressure
From: RJohn50603@aol.com
Date: Sun, 7 Feb 1999 08:26:29 EST
In a message dated 2/3/99 9:34:56 AM Central Standard Time, graham@haber.net
writes:

<< After 15 years of good service my '66 MGBs began to show slightly
 diminished oil pressure. I decided it was time for a rebuild. I stripped
 the block sent it to a well reputed machine shop to have all the machine
 work done. I reassembled the engine with new parts and dropped it back
 in. I filled the engine and oil filter with oil. Without the ignition
 plugs installed I turned over the engine, no oil pressure at the gauge.
 I removed the hose to the oil cooler to see if oil was pumping through.
 With the hose disconnected and the engine turning over no oil came out.
 I started to think about what I could have done wrong. I thought about
 installing the new oil pump wrong but I think it only goes in one way.
 Perhaps the machine shop did not replace all the oil galley plugs. Then
 someone told me that it is easy for air to block the system and keep the
 pump from working. If this is true are there tricks for priming the
 system? Or are the other mistakes I could have made that would create
 this problem. I really need help.

 Thanks in advance,

 Graham >>

I think your going to have to drop the pan and check that oil pump and dip
tube.

1. Any leak in the dip tube on it's way to the pump will cause the pump to not
prime.

2. I recall that the pump is mounted with three bolts. If these are loose, the
pump won't prime.

3. Is the gasket in place? Is the gasket torn? It is not symmetrical. It might
be turned wrong and not letting the proper port line up with the block.

4. Check that drive gear. Is the pump really turning?

5. I assume your lubricated the engine well as you were reassembling it. This
is the only lubrication anything is getting. Don't crank it too long.

6. What is the clearance between the rotor and the pump body?

7. Is this the original pump or did you replace it?

It's possible that the machine shop did something stupid, but I'd check out my
stuff first.

R. Johnson - Dallas