Re: SU vs. Weber DGV carb

To: ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com, mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: SU vs. Weber DGV carb
From: REwald9535@aol.com
Date: Tue, 9 Feb 1999 21:26:56 EST
ghutmacher@stanleyworks.com writes:

> I may opt to replace with a quieter system), it has no performance mods. I
>  am considering the option of converting to a Weber DGV downdraft conversion
>  and am hoping someone on the list can tell me how it compares to the SU's.

Back when I was in the parts business, I sold Webers.
I have installed, set up, and fixed DGV's on about everything you can name,
including LBC's.
First off a new Weber won't fix a bad motor, poor compression, plugged
exhaust, etc.  Your engine must be in sound condition before doing any carb
work or you are just spinning your wheels.
As Michael pointed out float level is critical, if you buy a DGV set the float
before you install it, I guarentee that it will come wrong from the factory.
As far as a bog off idle that should not be a problem if the correct jets are
installed.  Depending on who you bought the carb from it may not come with the
correct jets for your application, and may require a jet change to make run
properly.  The only exception to this rule is aircooled VW motors, whose
massively long runners cause a bog you can't believe. <G>
As far as SU's go they are very reliable if they are in good condition, and
set up properly.  SU's do require more maintenance than a Weber (oil in
dashpots, pulling off the top and cleaning every so often)
I would lean toward having your SU's rebuilt and set up right, if for no other
reason than they look way cool. (WOW, mister two carbs!)

As far as Mr. Burgess claim about SU's being superior to electronic fuel
injection.  I can only say, that as someone who works with electronic
automotive control systems on a daily basis, not on this planet.
$.02
Rick Ewald
67 MGB roadster