Re: New MG Magnette and BMW sale

To: <mgs4dave@warwick.net>
Subject: Re: New MG Magnette and BMW sale
From: Philip Raby <mgworld@chp.ltd.uk>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 09:10:27 +0000
On 11/2/99 8:39 pm Dave Houser said

>By now you've all heard about the top two men being kicked out of BMW
>because Rover has failed to make a profit after being bought back in
>1994.
>Berndt was a friend to us allowing Rover to bring back the MGF and had
>plans for several revivals.
>This news is very worrisome.
>Has anyone any info, Philip?, as to any news from Rover?
>What are their fears?

The situation's still very vague. The latest appears to be that
Longbridge will remain open, albeit after redundancies.

Actually, BMW did not initiate the MGF: it was practically ready for
production when BMW bought Rover. So it will be, in fact, the last MG to
be wholly British.

The next MG was to have been based on the new small Rover platform - FWD
and all. Now that is in doubt. There have been rumours that the small
Rover will use the Ford Focus platform (!) which, it has to said, is
excellent.

But it all leaves a big question mark over MG. My guess (at the moment)
is on the next MG sharing a platform with the next BMW Z3. That'll be sad
because it'll mean no more mid-engine layouts, but the Americans would be
pleased to see a front-engined, RWD MG.

I dunno, this is all speculation. I expect things will become clearer
over the coming months. One thing, though, I do beleive there will be
another new MG, and it will be sold in North America.

Cheers,

Philip Raby
Editor, MG World, PO Box 163, Bicester OX6 3YS, UK
Tel: 01869 340061 Fax: 01869 340063 Mobile 0467 767361 www.chp.ltd.uk