Purging a shock of air

To: "'mgs@autox.team.net'" <mgs@autox.team.net>
Subject: Purging a shock of air
From: "Jones, Mark" <MJones@ngl.ca>
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 11:18:42 -0400
I believe I am going to have to replace a front shock this spring since it
fails the bounce test.  But I did add some 20W fork oil to the shock to see
if it would make any difference and also to let me know if it is just
pouring out around the seals.  Adding the oil didn't help at all but then it
dawned on me that the shock should be purged of air.  How do I do that?  Do
I fill the shock with oil and then bounce the car up and down a few time
(which it has no problem doing) to purge the air and some oil out of the
shock?

Also my car has no oil cooler.  How important is the oil cooler in a climate
where we rarely get about 30C (90F)?

Thanks for the help :)

Mark
73 MGB GT