Re: no LBC content

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: no LBC content
From: dresden@tiac.net
Date: Fri, 12 Feb 1999 17:32:15 -0500 (EST)
>Art Pfenninger wrote:
>>
>> Does anyone know the answer to this?
>>
>> There are 3 words in the English language that end in 'gry'. One is angry
>> and the other is hungry. Everyone knows what the third one means and what
>> it stands for. Everyone uses them everyday. And if you listened carefully.
>> I have given you the third word. What is it? ------gry.
>> ...Art

Well, according to Richard Lederer's book "Adventures of a Verbivore",
there is no satisfactory answer. There are at least fifty "-gry" words, he
says, but most of them variant spellings, such as augry instead of augury,
or words so obscure, such as aggry (a glass bead) or puggry (a hindu scarf)
that they don't satisfy the everyday condition. So if he is wrong, I'd like
to hear this third common -gry word, as this puzzle has been going around
for years.

Nevin