Re: MGB rear brake cylinders

To: Edwin Vaughan <vaughme@mail.auburn.edu>
Subject: Re: MGB rear brake cylinders
From: Florrie & Allen Bachelder <bachldrs@swva.net>
Date: Sat, 13 Feb 1999 17:30:20 -0400
>Hello,
>
>My left rear brake cylinder on my '77 B is leaking. If the bores are not
>scarred  and I just need to replace the seals can I run down to the local
>parts store and buy replacements or do I need to buy certain brand seals,
>considering the finicky nature of LBC braking systems? Also, when I put
>the shoes back in will it require much wailing and gnashing of teeth?
>
>Edwin
>'77 B
>
>"I try to think but nuthin' happens"         http://www.auburn.edu/~vaughme
>               -- Curly (the stooge)

Edwin,

I don't know of anyone who has had much success rebuilding rearwheel
cylinders on the B.  Replacing them is a hassle (it's those damnable "C"
clips!) but nothing a few well-chosen four-letter words won't get you
through.  They're not horribly expensive and it's the "safety" part of
"safety fast".  I say replace it.  Re-use a couple of those four-letter
words to get the shoes back on.  Vice-Grips are very useful, if not
essential.   Note carefully in your Bentley manual  how the shoes should be
oriented.  A lotta DPOs put 'em on wrong!

Allen

Allen H. Bachelder  =iii=<
Sinking Creek Home for Wayward MGs
New Castle, VA 24127