Re: 56 K Line Speed

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: 56 K Line Speed
From: Charles Hill <candahill@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Sun, 14 Feb 1999 16:12:50 -0600
My limited experience leads me to believe that our phone lines  have a
Lucas legacy.  Any time you have an electrical problem, the first thing
to do is check all the connections.  When I first tried to go online
with me 33.6K modem, I couldn't get anything to happen.  The computer
checked out fine at the shop,  SW Bell said their lines checked out OK,
so the problem was in the connection.  When I checked out the junction
box outside my house, it was full of spider webs and the terminals were
green with corrosion.  It obviously hadn't been touched since it was
first installed.  I cleaned everything off and squirted WD 40 over
everything and haven't had any problems since.  I consistently connect
at 31.2 or 33.6 with a 33.6K modem.

Charles Hill
46 @ 49 TCs