Master Cylinder storage....

To: mgs@autox.team.net
Subject: Master Cylinder storage....
From: Ross MacPherson <arm@bc.sympatico.ca>
Date: Fri, 19 Feb 1999 06:47:08 -0800 (PST)
Greetings listers....

The brake and clutch master cylinders from my GT are newly beautiful.  The
engine compartment has been completely stripped and almost everything so far
has been either stripped and rebuilt or replaced.  My question is on what I
should do with the two master cylinders.  They have been stripped, examined,
honed on the inside and polished (with a SS wire wheel and Gibonizer they
come up absolutely GEORGEOUS) then coated with clear lacquer.  Monday I'll
pick up rebuild kits for both.  Once rebuilt they'll no doubt sit in a parts
cupboard for ages, possibly years.  Should I assemble them with just enough
DoT 5 for lube then purge them with alcohol or should I fill them?  I plan
to use DoT 5 silicone when it all comes together and I know it is not
hydroscopic (sp?)  but I have serious doubts about storage.  Anyone got any
experience with this?

Cheers, eh!

Cheers,
Ross   MacPherson